The mission of our competition is to highlight the art of the Coloratura repertoire and singing style, raise the awareness and appreciation of this challenging technique not only to the singers but to audiences, and create unique performing opportunities for promising singers of all ages.
- There will be three rounds: Round 1- Preliminary screening applications must be received by September 9th, Semi-finalists will be notified by September 23rd; Round 2- Semi-finals, Saturday, October 12th from 10am-5pm; and Round 3- a Finalists concert, Saturday, October 12th, at 7:30pm 2019.
- Age limit: (UPDATE AS OF 9/23/19)
- Student: ages 16-24 as of January 1, 2019
- Artist: ages 25+ as of January 1, 2019 (there is no age cut off)
- Accomplished: ages 40 + as of January 1, 2019 (there is no age cut off) REMOVED FOR 2019
The Live Competition
10-14 semi-finalists and 1 alternate will be selected from preliminary submissions in each division. The Semi-finalists will be invited to sing in a live competition Saturday October 12th at Towson University in the Recital Hall at the Center of the Arts building located at 7700 Osler Dr, Towson, MD 21204. Parking is available at no cost in the Union Garage across the street from the building.
- Round II (Maximum 10 minutes) - The selected 10 semi-finalists in the Student division will prepare 3 arias with at least 2 different languages represented. They will begin with an aria of their choosing and then the judges will choose from one of the other 2 selections. The singers will perform with piano accompaniment from 10:00am-12:00pm.
- The selected 14 semi-finalists in the Artist division will prepare 4 arias with at least 3 different languages represented. They will begin with an aria of their choosing and then the judges will choose from one of the other 3 selections. The singers will perform with piano accompaniment from 1:00pm-4:00pm.
A pianist will be provided with a $25 fee or you may bring your own.
- Round III - 8 Finalists will be invited to perform in a 7:30pm evening concert. Each singer will perform one selection and then prizes will be awarded. The concert is not judged. There will be a reception to follow. All events occur at Towson University in the Recital Hall at the Center of the Arts building located at 7700 Osler Dr, Towson, MD 21204.
- All music performed must be memorized including arias from oratorios, cantatas or masses.
- The decision of the jury is final.
- The competition day and finalist concert is open to the public. Admission is free.
- An accompanist will be provided for a $25 fee.
- First Prize per division - $1500
- Encouragement Awards - $500
Jury for Prelims
- CJ Greer https://www.unr.edu/music/faculty/cj-greer
- Emily Noel http://www.emilynoel.com/bio
Jury for Semifinals/Finals
- Julia Cooke http://www.baltimoreconcertopera.com/our-people
- Janice Chandler-Eteme https://www.bsfa.org/faculty/janice-chandler-eteme
- Ronald J. Gretz http://annapolisopera.org/about/staff/
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org